Sunday, May 2, 2010

San Francisco, 1906

I love San Francisco. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, and feels very European in so many areas and in many ways. The City is close to my heart...and that is why this video is so special. This is a trip down Market Street, the central thoroughfare that diagonally bisects The City, in 1906, months before the apocalyptic '06 earthquake. The Ferry Building looms at the eastern end of Market Street, looking the same then as it does now.

I know The City quite well and as I watch this, I find myself counting the blocks, trying to figure out what street the camera is passing, and trying to place what is currently at that corner or intersection. It is funny to see people, cable cars, trolleys, cars, and horse-drawn wagons cavalierly weaving in and out, narrowly missing each other. It is fascinating to see how people are dressed, and to see them strolling or running. And it is touching and bittersweet to see all these people, so many lives and loves gone by and ended, either from time or from the impending disaster and devastation that no one could have dreamt of.


No comments: