Thursday, January 20, 2011

BEAUTY: Clothing--Alexander McQueen

I still miss McQueen terribly, but I am glad the house goes on; Sarah Burton seems to be skillfully channeling the tone and direction of McQueen's spirit. And this week in Milan for Men's Fashion Week, she showed us a wonderfully evocative Fall-Winter '11-'12 collection based on antique military silhouettes and influences. I know Lee was a great devotee of a certain British sensibility, and Burton has shown a fondness for this style as well with her first menswear collection for McQueen (the marvelous "Pomp and Circumstance" Spring-Summer '11 collection which I blogged about here), but this current collection sure feels a bit Russian to me as well as British. I see ANNA KARENINA swirling around in the regimented jackets and coats. Sashes, referencing an old style military honor or military parade dress, appear here and there. But gold braiding on zip-front jackets, slashed sleeve seams, and track suit pants place the collection in the twenty first century.




http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/

No comments: