Monday, April 20, 2015

In old Savannah...


I just returned from a wonderful visit to Savannah, Georgia, city of lush squares and parks, monuments, moss, and shrimp and grits. Although I have been to Georgia many times, it was my first trip to Savannah and it was a wonderful surprise to see a modern, vital city with its roster of international students attending Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), and its hipsters and Bohemian hippies spearheading a wonderful organic and sustainable food and lifestyle movement. But the Southern roots are visible in every inch of the city where each square boasts grand mansions and enough Colonial history to make even Boston jealous.


I'd like to thank, as always, my dear friend, the beautiful and generous Sherry Page for not only putting together another outstanding Culinary Getaway but for sharing her home state and her childhood memories with us. I also want to thank the culinary legacy and spirit of Mrs. Wilkes; The Savannah Bee Company for a delightful and eye-opening mead tasting; the staff at Alligator Soul for a delicious meal (which did actually include alligator!); James Beard Featured Chef Peter Russo of 700 Kitchen Cooking School at the Mansion on Forsyth Park for his kindness, enthusiasm, and expert knowledge; Brian Torres of FORM for an exquisite five course meal with pitch-perfect wine pairings...and the best cheesecake I have had in my entire life; the staff at Clary's Cafe for their hospitality and a delicious Southern-style breakfast; the historic Gryphon Tea Room; Sherry's sister Lea Ann for making the hour and a half trek (!) to bring us barbecue from Ware's Bar-B-Q in Swainsboro (they were the best ribs I have ever had, and the Brunswick Stew was a new dish to me!); and the charming Greg Butch, co-owner of Elizabeth on 37th for taking such good care of us.


It was all a lovely experience. Thank you so much!

No comments: