Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Flying

It's the latest thing. Everyone's doing it. Why aren't you?



My History of Flight

When I was young
I learned to flap my arms
like a blind baby sparrow
or a Da Vinci contraption
and thus raise myself
off the ground.

When I was older
the air changed
to something thick
like syrup
and I moved
as though under water,
giving a push with my feet,
propelling myself forward
with a butterfly stroke...

I never flew higher
than the telephone lines
or two to three stories,
whichever came first,
until I had an uncontrollable
problem with gravity.
I found myself plastered
against the ceiling,
being drawn up --
I struggled to pull myself
out the door and
I soared straight up
as the sun set.
Through the clouds
I saw the lights of the city
sputter and glow.

Now I fly by
will power alone.
No awkward flapping,
no aqua ballet.
I just raise my arms and
will my body
to rise over
roof tops, tree tops...

©JEF 1986

No comments: