Tuesday, January 17, 2012

BEAUTY: Painting--Nu Ryu

South Korean artist Nu Ryu interprets the natural world and the animals in it through a traditional Korean lens...


http://www.nuryu.com/

These paintings remind me of a poem I wrote many years ago called "Dense Beasts."

Dense Beasts

I know of a place
that’s much darker,
where I can hear them
talking to each other
from the forest.
I crouch by the trees
and listen to them
jabber.
I can hear their
innocence
in the noises they make.
I can hear it
in their chirping,
in their grunting,
in their sigh
and the beasts
from the forest say,
“It’s OK.
We know what’s wrong.”

Through the trees
I see their wide button eyes
shining in the dark.
I can feel
their warm fur.
I hear them breathing
and chattering,
they don’t mean harm.
Sitting on branches,
sleeping in dirt,
the beasts say,
“It’s OK.
We know what’s going on.
We’ll stay here.”

©JEF 1983

No comments: