Thursday, October 4, 2012

Welcome, Orlando!

Not only is it currently GLBT History Month, but today boxer Orlando Cruz came out. This marks the very first time ever that an active, professional boxer has come out. I do not follow boxing at all (it puzzles me), but I am happy to see anyone come out with confidence, pride, and determination. He is quite brave to have come out in such a traditionally masculine sport, and in a country that is suffering such a sick backlash against gay men and women.

Continued success to you, hero.


"I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself...I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career. I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man.

I don't want to hide any of my identities...I want people to look at me for the human being that I am. I am a professional sportsman that always brings his best to the ring. I want for people to continue to see me for my boxing skills, my character, my sportsmanship. But I also want kids who suffer from bullying to know that you can be whoever you want to be in life, including a professional boxer, that anything is possible and that who you are or whom you love should not be impediment to achieving anything in life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff

There was a rather powerful interview with Orlando Cruz in yesterday's issue of The Guardian newspaper over here in the UK. Check it out on this link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/18/orlando-cruz-gay-boxer-interview

All the very best

Ian Massey

Jeff said...

Ian,

Thanks so much for sharing the link to this great interview. And the good news is that he WON the fight! Good for him!

Best,
JEF