Monday, April 22, 2024

The Poetry of Rock n' Roll: "Zoo Station"

To observe National Poetry Month, I have been featuring lyrics of rock n' roll or pop songs that also double as exquisite poetry.

I am a fan of U2 for many reasons and one of them is their deft ability with lyrics. In his book SURRENDER, Bono says, "The greatest songwriting is never conclusive, but the search for conclusion," (Italics mine). In other words, it is the process that is important and not the result, it is the journey not the destination, it is life in its uncertainty and messiness and emotion that conveys meaning and not a neatly wrapped up ending. Bono has excelled at this approach for decades now, and this incredible song, "Zoo Station" which opens the phenomenal "Achtung Baby" album demonstrates a willingness to meet the world head on, whatever it is, even when it hurts: high and low, control and surrender, pain and ecstasy...often at the same time.

Zoo Station
by U2, lyrics by Bono

I'm ready
I'm ready for the laughing gas
I'm ready
I'm ready for what's next

I'm ready to duck
I'm ready to dive
I'm ready to say
I'm glad to be alive
I'm ready
I'm ready for the push, uh huh

In the cool of the night
In the warmth of the breeze
I'll be crawling 'round
On my hands and knees
Just down the line
Zoo Station
Got to make it on time, oh Zoo Station

I'm ready
I'm ready for the gridlock
I'm ready
To take it to the street, uh huh

I'm ready for the shuffle
Ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready
Ready for the crush, uh huh
Zoo Station

Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright
Hey baby, hey baby, hey baby, hey baby
It's alright, it's alright

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

I'm just down the line from your love (Zoo Station)
Under the sign of your love (Zoo Station)
I'm gonna make it on time, make it on time (Zoo Station)
Just a stop down the line (Zoo Station)
Just a stop down the line


U2, Achtung Baby era by Anton Corbijn

https://www.u2.com/

No comments: