Friday, January 18, 2019

BEAUTY: Clothing--Siki Im

This wonderful, moody Fall-Winter '19-'20 collection from Siki Im is deceptively simple. But the simplicity ends up reading like architectural statements, and even pieces influenced by a Japanese aesthetic. I love Im's inspiration for this collection. He told Nick Ramsen at Vogue.com, "It’s about the roots, literally and metaphorically. I’ve been in the mountains a lot lately, from the Catskills to Whistler in British Columbia to hiking with my parents in South Korea. What I realized in these places is that you’re disconnected. Instagram doesn’t work. As a city kid, I think we need more of a balance."

The lookbook for the collection released at Paris Fashion Week, appropriately photographed in a snowy forest and styled like an iamamuwhoami video, is chilly and lyrical. Fur tabards establish a wild man mood while embroidered bare tree branches adorn sleeves and pant legs (look closely). In the lookbook notes, Im pointed out that many pieces had a poem by Pablo Neruda sewn on. The opening line of that poem reads: "Lost in the forest, I broke off a dark twig and lifted its whisper to my thirsty lips: Maybe it was the voice of the rain crying, a cracked bell, or a torn heart."

Gorgeous.


http://sikiim.com

No comments: