Monday, January 7, 2019

BEAUTY: Clothing--Edward Crutchley

Edward Crutchley, a graduate of Saint Martin's who launched his label at Fashion East during 2015's London Collections: Men, has not been on my radar until now. I like his flowing sensibility and references to other cultures. And this FW '19-'20 collection at London Fashion Week Men's looks to be exquisitely tailored (“It’s really a move away from sportswear. It’s the first time I haven’t used any nylon or cotton, everything is viscose, silk, wool, or cashmere,” said Crutchley backstage. “In general dressing up is much more exciting, for me,") while using materials and patterns that evoke something wild and savage, even shamanistic... along with a tribal-infused nose ring, I see gnarled tree roots, a snake skin pattern, and a jacket and cape embroidered with the image of an eagle attacking a snake. And the hat in the center bottom panel reminds me of a kanmuri, a type of hat worn by priests in Shinto, an animistic religion of Japan that subscribes to the lovely notion that everything is alive and has a soul.

I for one celebrate the move away from sports-streetwear and "ath-leisure wear"...it was bland and unimaginative when it first exploded and now it is tired. So tired...


http://www.edwardcrutchley.com/

No comments: