Friday, August 12, 2011

BEAUTY: Men--Classical Portraits

Handsome men of classical portraiture...
(I usually post photographs in this recurring column, but there's plenty of male beauty immortalized in oil or charcoal by artists through the centuries.)


Top to bottom: Portrait of Cyril Flower, Lord Battersea by Anthony Frederick Sandys; A Portrait of Ivan Bilibin (1901) by Boris Kustodiev; Leon Riesener by Eugene Delacroix; Dr. Samuel Jean Pozzi at Home (1881) by John Singer Sargent; Man Wearing Laurels (1874-1880) by John Singer Sargent; Olimpio Fusco by John Singer Sargent; The Boxer (1933) by Konstantin Andreevich Somov; A Musician's Reverie by John Pettie; Portrait of the Artist's Brother by Arthur Hacker; Portrait of a Young Man by Anne-Louis Girodet de Roucy-Triosson

3 comments:

Staggo"s List said...

We were surfing the Internets thinking to find the essential Dorian Gray. He is either an extremely beautiful arrogant brat or much more manly and virile. Either way, the picture has to take one's breath away. I found a couple total winners here, ones that seem to encompass both types.

Jeff said...

Thanks Staggo! Glad you found some you like.

Anonymous said...

It's such a beautiful coincidence. In my case, I was looking for the best Dorian Gray's book cover -time to get my own classics collection-, a manly one indeed. A beautiful portrait of Karl Wallenreiter came across to me and I found this blog which also captivated my senses, all the ancient drawing are exquisite and most of them portray beautiful men (impossible not to have a glance on the collection). So, the thing is that later I found the perfect Dorian Gray's cover, I mean an official one, a virile one far away from Wilde's original ideal, but unfortunately my favourite is a turkish edition! -despite two words from turkish tv series, I don't speak the language at all!. I got frustrated, thus,impossible to acquire that very man, oh I mean that very edition, I want to read and in English language. Well, it's the Ivan Bilidin's portrait which I referred, look at his virile and intense gazing or his body language... definitely inspiring -He could have been a sort of 19th's Keanu Reeves, Couldn't he?.