Thursday, May 30, 2019

BEAUTY: Ceramics--Steen Ipsen

These satisfying forms, precise yet organic in nature, are from the mind and hand of Danish artist Steen Ipsen. His Artist Statement is informative:

"I work in a decorative ceramic expression involving both form and decoration. Decoration is integrated into the form and the form itself is spatially decorative. My sculptures could also be supplied with other materials as PVC, Leather or hand decorated pattern. But ceramics is central in my works.

The sculptures are all unique. The process could be based on clay-elements build up in terms and variations or it could be a process based in free hand modelled objects. I never use computer or digital technique. It is important for me to focus on craftmanship created by hands.

My works are glazed, re-glazed and fired several times to obtain a perfect and monochrome surface. The works are underlined with coloured strings or hand decorated pattern as a contrast to the object's shape and to express the influence of the sculpture's movements and put the works in a spatial context and show a strong graphical expression."





https://www.steen-ipsen.dk/

No comments: