Saturday, August 31, 2019

BEAUTY: Painting--Robert C. Jackson

I am tickled by the work of painter Robert C. Jackson. He gets me right where I live: I have a weakness for the type of bygone pop culture references he uses to populate his images. Cartoon characters and advertising mascots representing food of all kinds (hello Cap'n Crunch, Charlie Tuna, Poppin' Fresh!) congregate on crates for soft drinks and sodas. Because I am a man of a certain age, I grew up with all these characters and feel a sweet sense of comfort and nostalgia when I see them.


Top to bottom: American Way; Board Meeting; Bob's Bob's Big Boy; Just Nuts; Shared Experience; That's All Folks

His series of balloon dogs cavorting and feasting are equally as delightful. I especially like the ironic Making Friends which shows a balloon animal inflating another balloon to literally make a companion.


Top to bottom: American Landscape; Flower Market; Ideal Feast; Italian Feast; Making Friends; Pop Betsy Ross; Smorgasbord

And then there is the delightful cookie/donut/macaron/sweet treat series. A tower of Oreos? yes, please.


Top to bottom: 52; Black and White; Comfort Food; Crossing; Macarons; Magi; Might Need More Coffee; Props; Rain; Starting The Challenge; Still Need More Milk

https://robertcjackson.com/

No comments: