Wednesday, October 16, 2019

BEAUTY: Fabric Art--Bisa Butler

The absolutely stunning quilting and fabric work of artist Bisa Butler hearkens back to the roots of African American experience, evoking Gullah culture and Gee's Bend quilts. She uses no paint at all in these incredible fabric portraits...just cotton, silk, wool and velvet in quilted and appliqué techniques. The hue and chroma and shading she gets is phenomenal.


Top to bottom: Broom Jumpers; Dear Mama; I Am Not Your Negro; I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings; Kindred; To Truth and God detail; To Truth and God detail; close up of a portrait; Bisa Butler at work; Bisa Butler at work

https://www.instagram.com/bisabutler/

2 comments:

Trish said...

Stunning work - facial expressions are so beautiful. Use and choice of fabrics amazing and the layering adds such depth (e.g. the netting). Your list is full of things I already love and others I do not know but trust - so let the exploration begin! I also admire the serenity of the space where you do your design work - no wonder your pieces have such thoughtfulness and harmony. My space gets far to messy far too quickly.

Jeff said...

Hi Trish,

I agree, Bisa Butler's studio does look free and open and uncluttered...I suppose she must keep it that way since she clearly needs space to lay out her huge pieces and work on them in an unfettered way.

Thanks for the comment and visit.
Best,
JEF