Wednesday, July 13, 2022

BEAUTY: Painting--Maryclare Foá

The immensely charming work of Maryclare Foá is colorful, free, enigmatic, and naïve, reminding me of Chagall and Matisse if they were in therapy with C.G. Jung. I love her animals, her people, her animal-people hybrids, her oblique narratives, and the gamut of emotions it all engenders.

Her artist statement says: "My current practice (from 2016-) focuses on drawn narrative painting (concerning human behaviour, contradictions, interactions, ambiguity, and place), in which I work to conjure a remembered or imaged scene, while aiming to bridge the processes of drawing and painting. Grappling to keep the work alive, I retain the initial marks and forms made in the building process, sometimes drawing in paint, other times painting layers into and over drawing, in this way the processes become one, woven together into the whole."


Top to bottom: Come Fly With me; Curious Blue Fairy; Hold; In The Woods; The Meeting; Mind The Bunny; Misfits; Nothing Bad Ever; The Smoking Bride; Why the long face sunshine

https://maryclarefoa.com/

No comments: