Tuesday, May 7, 2024

BEAUTY: Embroidery--Peter Frederiksen

I am tickled by and subsequently fascinated with the wonderful embroidery work of textile artist Peter Frederiksen. He uses iconic imagery from classic cartoons. He explained in an interview with gallerytalk.net:

"These cartoon characters are the basis of my entire aesthetic. I like that this imagery is already engraved in people's minds. As a child, like many others, I used to watch 'Looney Tunes' with my dad on Saturday mornings. They're really beautiful films - hand-drawn, colorful and funny. They're art, it's that simple. However, these cartoons are also super brutal and often racist. You can tell that they obviously come from a different time. I work with the imagery of the so-called 'Golden Age of American Animation.'...The term 'Golden Age' seems like a provocation today: the concept of a past, better time, which makes you think about what could have been, leads nowhere. Things aren't going well right now. But it's crazy to think that things would have somehow been better 50 or 60 years ago. For me, the cartoon aesthetic is a way to engage with this idea."


Top to bottom: Closer with every cut; Don't even need bait; Forging a path; Heavier than it looks; Incredibly happy for you; Peril; Some locks won't hold; Teetering on indecision; They'll never be the wiser

https://www.pefrederiksen.com/

No comments: