Saturday, August 13, 2022

"Free Yourself" by Jessie Ware

Having grown up in the days of disco, I am just loving the Neo-Disco moment that seems to be in the zeitgeist, fueled for a while now by Melvo Baptiste's Glitterbox show and all the young DJs and producers remixing classic tunes by the likes of Sister Sledge, Sylvester, and Gino Soccio. So of course I am LOVING this new release by Jessie Ware (previously here), the unofficial Queen of Neo-Disco. Yes, I know Beyoncé just released "Renaissance" and all 16 tracks are currently on the Billboard 100 but where Beyoncé is working in a 90s House tradition, this track by Jessie Ware seems to be a little more aligned with authentic, classic, late-70s disco. Called "Free Yourself," the lyrics and sense of the song feels as if it would be right at home in the freedom-seeking late 70s. I swear I could have heard this on the radio in 1978 right after Donna Summer's "Rumor Has It" and before Voyage's "Souvenirs." And I would have rushed to the record store to buy the 45 (what's a 45? Google it, kids)...



https://www.jessieware.com/