Monday, March 26, 2012

Currently listening to...

..."This Head I Hold" by Electric Guest.

I must admit, probably to the astonishment of many, that I have just not been on board for this whole retro-female-songstress thing of the last many years... Amy Winehouse, Adele, Sharon Jones... I have had friends try their best to make these women appealing to me, but I am just not feeling it.

But now I have stumbled across L.A. electro-soul act Electric Guest (Asa Taccone and Matt Compton), and I am transfixed as I bop along with the sly, bewitching rhythm. This is clearly a Motown-influenced track, with lead singer Asa Taccone doing his best Smokey Robinson falsetto-croon (his moves in the video are reminiscent of various Motown frontmen). But unlike the afore-mentioned singers, this completely works for me. Perhaps because it has something to do with the fact that Taccone and Compton admit to a love of indie music and 60s French pop--and I can feel that in their music.



There is an amazing, infectious energy in this track. As of now, they only have an EP out (featuring another amazing track, "Troubleman") but their debut release, "Mondo" produced by Danger Mouse is out April 23rd.

Above: Taccone and Compton

http://electricguest.com/

No comments: