Wednesday, May 6, 2020

BEAUTY: Interiors--Thom Filcia

For his New York City apartment, designer extraordinaire Thom Filicia created a rich, dark, textural cocoon. We last visited Thom at his upstate New York lake house here. But in this April 2020 spread for Architectural Digest, I just love seeing his use of his own Abalone wallcovering (from Winfield Thybony--I've sourced it for clients and it is wonderful) in a charcoal and white colorway in niches, the way he encased a Victorian painting in a modern acrylic box for his dining room, and the simple but very effective striated travertine tile layout on the bathroom walls.

Thom Filicia is one of the reasons I am an interior designer today. Watching him on "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" seventeen years ago inspired me to go back to school and get a degree in interior design. It was always a field I loved and wanted to work in. So I got my degree, and I started my own business. Candice Olson is the other reason. She and Thom were--and kind of still are--the only real interior designers on television, without all the game show/on-a-dime-in 24-hours crap. I'm so pleased I got to meet Candice a few years ago and let her know how she inspired me. And now I just have to thank Thom, too. Someday...


https://www.thomfilicia.com/

No comments: