Wednesday, May 12, 2021

"Chernobyl" by GusGus and Bjarki

I am moved by this fascinating song and video for "Chernobyl" by GusGus (previously here) with Bjarki. The visual narrative is touching and the song is like a soundtrack, propelling our heroine along on her painful journey of memory.


https://www.gusgus.com/

I was in Europe the summer of 1986, the summer of Chernobyl. It was my first trip abroad. There had also been some terrorist attacks (back when such things were relatively uncommon) and between these two dangerous events, the tourist turnout that summer was quite low. I recall having a lot of elbow room in England, France, and Italy. I enjoyed relatively uncrowded streets and very short lines, if any, at museums and cathedrals. But there was an advisory against eating any seafood as the radioactive cloud from Chernobyl had drifted over the open ocean and contaminated the marine life...sadly, I was unable to dive into one of Venice's famed Frutti di Mare feasts.

If you were not around then and are not familiar with the details, I highly recommend watching the HBO limited series "Chernobyl." It is a stunning cinematic achievement that captures quite well what went on. The series won a slew of awards including an Emmy and a Golden Globe.


https://www.hbo.com/chernobyl

No comments: