Sunday, June 6, 2021

BEAUTY: Ceramics--Emily Counts

The ceramic wall sculptures and totems by Emily Counts are so satisfyingly chunky and visceral.

Her Artist Statement:
"My ceramic and mixed media sculptures begin with an interest in connectivity, whether physical, social, or conceptual. Many pieces are comprised of objects attached to one another via tethers or chains while other works connect vertically, consisting of shapes stacked high on top of each other. Each element is paired, sequenced, grouped or assembled. With all of these physical couplings I am considering how associations are formed in our minds, and also how similar connections occur within our bodies, in nature, and through technology. Chain reactions, associative memories, and social networks are all examples of the types of connections that influence my work. I especially look for pathways and relationships between things that may seem unrelated on the surface.

I am drawn to tactile, durable materials and enticing surfaces. Stained glass, wood, and bronze are included in my ceramic pieces, referencing the history and traditions of craft practices. Formally my sculptures have a basis in abstraction and geometry but often incorporate recurring images and symbols that are autobiographical. These may be suggestive of human anatomy, architecture, vessels, weapons, jewelry, and plant life. Through the making of objects I communicate my own experiences and simultaneously search for motifs that may be significant to many people. Both personal and collective symbolism inspires me as well as the areas where these categories overlap."

I like her ceramic chains...they remind me of the chains made by Cecil Kemperink, previously here.


https://emilycounts.com/Home

No comments: