Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Miniature Worlds of Chris Toledo

Apropos of yesterday's post, here, about iconic and influential rooms, here is the charming, engaging work of Chris Toledo. His maquettes of traditional California Spanish Colonial homes, seen below, are fantastic.

When I was in fifth grade, back when the earth was still cooling (I kid), I had those little pom pom creatures with vinyl feet (with the option to peel off the backing on the vinyl and stick them to a surface!) that were so popular in the late 60s/early 70s, and I made homes for them out of shoe boxes and other cardboard boxes...they had split levels and stairs folded out of card stock and water beds made from ziploc baggies with cotton ball pillows. I am an interior designer now, and I see even then I was interested in creating spaces. But my shoe boxes were nothing like these realistic marvels. I appreciate how he photographs the models including his hands or other objects like a coin or head of garlic for scale.

Exquisite craftsmanship. Infinite, mind-boggling patience. He makes shadow boxes of rooms for sale on his website linked at the bottom. Take a look!


https://www.toledominiatures.com/

No comments: