Thursday, November 18, 2021

"Runnin'" by Ms. Carrie Stacks

I discovered this song, "Runnin'"--and singer-songwriter Ms. Carrie Stacks (the alter ego of Ghanaian-English musical artist and DJ Larry B)--while watching a Mugler fashion show (here). And I can't get it out of my head. There are some amazing black artists pushing the boundaries of music of all types right now and Ms. Carrie Stacks is one of them. The chilly, minimalist sound seems alien yet somehow indicative of life at this moment. And the imagery backs that up: Carrie is seen running from something or someone, trying to escape from a multitude of places and situations. The inhaler interlude in a claustrophobic tunnel certainly adds anxiety. But it's the way the music disintegrates throughout the track, ending in fractured, jagged electronic sounds while she moves in a strobing empty white office at night that pushes everything into the realm of deliciously disturbing.

I've been runnin' too long
I'm tired, I'm done
I've got to switch it up
I gotta change the rhythm




https://www.instagram.com/ms.carriestacks

No comments: