Tuesday, September 19, 2023

BEAUTY: Clothing--Paolo Carzana

Yet another designer is on my radar now, thanks to London Fashion Week. Welsh designer Paolo Carzana is a wonder, sprung from the head of Zeus. When he was promoting his previous collection for Fall Winter '23 entitled "Queer Symphony," he said, "It’s mainly related to this idea that everything I was ashamed of as a kid is now my strength. Up until I was 17, I would literally pray every night to wake up straight, and pray to be normal. And every single day, I was bullied in school, when I didn’t even know who I was."

It is a shared story among many of us in the gay community, one I have heard many times...surviving emotional, psychological, and often physical abuse to emerge on the other side, despite or probably because of it all, with a hunger and drive to create something beautiful, to express a force that could not be taken from us. I can attest to the truth of this from my own personal experience. So I feel great tenderness for and interest in the creations of Paolo Carzana.

In a preview for his current SS '24 collection shown at London Fashion Week, The Guardian said:
"Welsh fashion designer Paolo Carzana’s bespoke work is a balance between strength and fragility, using antique fabrics hand-dyed with herbs and spices. He is a recipient of the British Fashion Council NewGen award and is an artist in residence at the Sarabande Foundation established by Alexander McQueen. His SS24 collection, My Heart is a River For You to Bend, explores the resilience of the heart after loss. Hats by Nasir Mazhar are decorated with flowers given to Carzana by Sarah Burton, Alexander McQueen’s outgoing creative director, after his first show."

The delicate fabrics tied and stitched together seem like creations from some other dream world, as if the models should be lounging around on marble terraces in bright Pre-Raphaelite splendor, or in a lush production of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." There is a hushed beauty to the silhouettes and construction of the garments that casts a spell.


https://www.paolocarzana.com/

No comments: