Saturday, September 23, 2023

Currently listening to...

...a nostalgic moment for me: a track from the original motion picture soundtrack to Paul Scharder's "Cat People" starring Nastassja Kinski. The soundtrack was already composed and recorded by Giorgio Moroder, the producer who practically invented Italo-disco and was responsible for the highly electronic sound of some of Donna Summer's greatest songs like "I Feel Love" when Schrader asked David Bowie to collaborate. He wrote the lyrics for the Moroder-composed theme song "Putting Out Fire (With Gasoline)." But for another track, Moroder created a version of the theme song with Bowie's vocalizations only, no words. Called "The Myth," this track recalls the ancient, exotic world in the film where the Cat People come from.

I loved this soundtrack when the film came out, but I loved this track in particular. I was and still am a huge fan of electronic music and at that time, in 1982 when I was a young man of 18, I was still enraptured with Moroder's work with Donna Summer. I was also a lifelong Bowie fan, so the music had a lot going for it to hook me. I had this on a cassette and would pop it in to my Walkman and just drift off...


https://www.giorgiomoroder.com/
https://www.davidbowie.com/

6 comments:

tuckova said...

I LOVED this soundtrack. Thank you for the reminder.

Jeff said...

Hi tuckova!

I spent a summer with a few friends when I was 19 driving from Miami to Maine, and this song was in my Walkman almost all the time, along with the incredible track "This City Never Sleeps" by Eurythmics... those songs sort of belong together...
https://youtu.be/ITuBoXM4jPo?si=g9SKyJdZuZSbxX-t

Best,
JEF

tuckova said...

JEF, that was the standout song for me on the 9 1/2 Weeks soundtrack (which, with Brian Eno also there, is saying something).
I so appreciate your ability to re-introduce me to things I forgot and to introduce me to new things I might otherwise miss.

Jeff said...

Hi tuckova,

Thanks for the kind words, I am happy to pass along the good music...

I worked at Tower Records when the 9 1/2 Weeks ST came out, that brought back memories. It's funny, I can sort of tell time and mark eras when I think back to my years at Tower by when albums were released, lol.

Best,
JEF

tuckova said...

Dear JEF-

Which Tower records? Are you from Sacramento? I lived in Sacramento from 1980-89. Do we know each other? Or maybe I just bought a record or a CD from you once or something. That would be extremely cool though!

-Anne

Jeff said...

Hi tuckova (Anne!),

I worked at Record Factory for two years (82-84) before I moved on to Tower for another five years, both in Concord! How fun that we were so close to each other then. I liked the Diablo Valley...it was great being so close to SF. My first boss at RF also worked as a booker for all the clubs in SF which means I was on the guest list for every artist and band who came to town, so I practically lived at The Kabuki and the Old Waldorf! I have seen everyone from that period. Fun times.

Best,
JEF